Does an apple a day keep the doctor away? While it will certainly take more than a daily apple to keep you healthy, it is a step in the right direction. Apples have many health benefits and are delicious, low in calories, fat free, sodium and cholesterol free and are still very inexpensive. Below are more reasons why eating an apple a day is a smart thing to do.
- Apples are a source of soluble fiber such as pectin which actually helps to prevent cholesterol buildup in the lining of blood vessel walls, thus reducing atherosclerosis and heart disease. The insoluble fiber in apples provides bulk in the intestinal tract, holding water to cleanse and move food quickly through the digestive system.
- Apples consumed daily as part of a healthy diet can aid in weight loss and prevent potential for chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Apple consumption helps achieve whiter teeth due to the stimulation of saliva and decreases tooth decay by lowering bacteria levels in the mouth.
- Apples provide essential vitamins, minerals and fiber that help to protect from chronic disease.
- Apples are very high in antioxidants and helps prevent oxidative stress and, therefore, may help prevent chronic disease and also slows the aging process.
There are hundreds of varieties of apples on the market today, although most people have only tasted one or two of the most popular, such as Red Delicious or Granny Smith. Apples can be sweet, tart, soft and smooth or crisp and crunchy. There is an apple out there to satisfy almost everyone’s taste, so why not plan a trip to a local apple orchard today to stock up on your favorite apple.